IU President McRobbie to meet with community leaders, IU affiliates in northwest Indiana
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Indiana University President Michael A. McRobbie will travel to northwest Indiana on Nov. 12 to engage with local officials and the campus community to provide updates on IU's progress and highlight important connections between the region and the university.
During the 2015-16 academic year, McRobbie is visiting each campus to emphasize IU's commitment to all regions of the state as well as strengthen campus connections with community and state leaders. McRobbie visited southwest Indiana last month.
McRobbie’s daylong visit to the region will include:
- Valparaiso: Breakfast meeting with Mayor Jon Costas and Bill Hanna, president and CEO of the Northwest Indiana Regional Development Authority.
- Portage: Tour of Ports of Indiana - Burns Harbor, led by Port Director Rick Heimann and attended by IU Northwest Chancellor William Lowe. McRobbie and Lowe will learn more about the port operation and its economic impact on Indiana.
- Gary/IU Northwest:
- Meet with a select group of students who recently led philanthropic initiatives on campus during Philanthropy Week 2015. Each student will give a five-minute presentation to McRobbie and Lowe during a private luncheon.
- Speak to members of several local chambers of commerce about the university's bicentennial priorities and its commitment to the northwest region. The call will be moderated by Heather Ennis, executive director of Northwest Indiana Forum.
- Host a media roundtable with Lowe for local media. The conversation will begin with brief introductions followed by a moderated Q&A session. The roundtable presents an opportunity for local media to learn more about IU's partnership with the region and also gives McRobbie the opportunity to learn more about the priorities and areas of concern in northwest Indiana. Media interested in attending the roundtable should RSVP to Tom Wyatt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Merrillville: Celebrate student scholarships at IU Northwest's annual Chancellor's Medallion Celebration, where Lowe will bestow the Chancellor's Medallion Award upon an individual. The award signifies that its recipient has given many years of distinguished and dedicated service to the institution and to the community. Sharon Johnson-Shirley, superintendent of Lake Ridge schools, will emcee the event.
McRobbie will continue his campus community visits in 2016 with stops in Richmond, New Albany, Kokomo, Fort Wayne and South Bend.
Follow #McRobbieontheMove for live Twitter updates during the president's visit to northwest Indiana on Nov. 12.
Director of Strategic Communications - Indianapolis
- Office 317-274-5434
- Cell 317-201-7114